|| Rate this content|
HP Compaq Business Desktops - Exclamation Mark on Realtek High Definition Audio in Device Manager
There is no sound emitted from the unit. Realtek HD Audio shows an exclamation mark. It is not possible to update drivers. The driver update abruptly terminates with an error. It is not possible to uninstall the device. The error failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to reboot the computer occurs.
CAUTION: This document contains information about how to modify the registry. The registry should be backed up before modifying it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. If you use the Registry Editor (regedit.exe ) incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. HP cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using the Registry Editor incorrectly. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 322756, titled How to back up and restore the registry in Windows or Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 256986, titled Windows registry information for advanced users . Click here to view Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us) . Click here to view Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) .
In case such an event occurs, this procedure is to be followed to resolve the issue.
1. Close all windows. Click Start -> Run . Run regedit.exe .
2. Navigate to the following key:
3. Locate the sub-key whose name starts with Func_* . Right-click the key, and click Permissions . Grant Full Control permission to Everyone .
4. Right-click again the key whose name starts with Func_* , and delete it.
5. Install Microsoft Windows XP Universal Audio Architecture update (SP32395.exe ) or later followed by the Realtek High Definition driver.
6. Reboot the unit.
The issue is solved.
The operating system in scope is Microsoft Windows XP all 32-bit editions.