TITLE: HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC Series ROM Update
DESCRIPTION: This package contains the ROM Update Utility (RUU) and ROM image for the listed handheld models and operating systems.
IMPORTANT: The RUU is designed to replace the current ROM image and to erase the partnership and all user data and programs on the handheld. It is important to read and understand the information in the Readme file that is included with this update BEFORE installing the package.
NOTE: This ROM update is not compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7.
SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP29841
EFFECTIVE DATE: May 09, 2005
SSM SUPPORTED: No
PRODUCT TYPE(S): Handhelds
PRODUCT MODEL(S): HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC Series
OPERATING SYSTEM(S): Microsoft Windows for Pocket PC 2003 SE
LANGUAGE(S): US English
- Provides an improved Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer.
- Provides an improved Microsoft Windows Media Player.
- Enables more than one Settings application to be active at the same time.
- Adds new data connectivity icon to the Title bar.
- Improves ServerSync application stability.
- Enables dialing of a number that starts with a pound sign (#).
- Enhances localization, including:
* Traditional Chinese: Improves Wi-Fi settings "Zero Config" dialog box.
* Japan: Improves Wi-Fi settings.
* Korean: Updates the Lunar calendar.
* Enables the pound sign (#) and asterisk (*) to be used in the Contacts
application search function.
- Fixes issues with wireless connectivity.
- Fixes issue with execution of .NET framework.
- Fixes issue with very high-volume audio signal from third-party applications
that could result in potential speaker damage.
- Fixes issue where the microphone automatic gain control (AGC) setting was
not saved after a power cycle.
- Fixes issue where the user interface for the handheld would indicate that
the user was connected to a network that was not present.
- Fixes issue where protected extensible authentication protocol (PEAP)
authentication would fail with no indication that the user's password had
- Fixes issue where Pocket Internet Explorer would stall and fail to load a
page if the HTTP post was larger than 16K.
- Fixes issue where WiFi connection status was incorrectly indicated for some
- Fixes issue with an active modem connection where the handheld was unable
to re-establish a connection after the USB cable was unplugged.
- Fixes issue that occurred when using WPA-PSK authentication where the
handheld failed to authenticate to a second access point (AP) with the
same SSID and key.
- Fixes issue where the client device packets did not properly route to the
target LAN when a point-to-point protocol (PPP) connection was made.
- Fixes issue where an exception was generated When disconnecting a serial
line Internet protocol (SLIP) server session.
- Fixes issue where the wrong domain name server (DNS) address was passed to
the server when a secondary IP address was assigned.
- Fixes issue where the wrong WEP key was used when switching between
configured, preferred, WEP-enabled Wi-Fi connections.
- Fixes issue with cached pages where a back/forward navigation would not be
sent to the Internet.
- Fixes issue with URLs that contain semicolons so that they are no longer
truncated when sending the GET request over the Wireless Session Protocol.
- Fixes the following localization issues:
* Korean: Fixes issue with contact picker where it did not match Jungseong
because asterisk (*) and pound sign (#) key presses were ignored.
* Korean: Fixes issue with contact names that were displayed with no comma
or space between the Last and First name.
* Korean: Fixes issue with the Notification dialog so it is no longer
clipped in the Sounds and Notifications Control panel.
* Romanian: Corrects Daylight Savings Time.
- Microsoft ActiveSync 3.7.1 (or later) is required.
HOW TO USE:
1. Download the Softpaq.EXE to a directory on your hard drive.
2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to unpack
the ROM update files to a directory.
(NOTE: This directory should not
contain any file or folder from any previous ROM upgrade.)
3. Establish an Activesync connection between the handheld and host PC using the USB connection.
4. The ROM Update Utility (hpRUU.exe) will start automatically. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the ROM upgrade.
NOTE: Once the update is complete, the .EXE file downloaded in Step 1 can be deleted, if desired.
1. During the update, the ROM Update Utility will:
- Query the handheld for current ROM image information.
- Validate that the new ROM image is compatible with the handheld.
- Automatically place the handheld in Flash mode.
- Update the ROM image on the handheld.
2. IMPORTANT: Disable the Standby and Hibernation modes on the host PC. If
Standby or Hibernation mode is activated during the upgrade process, a
critical error may occur.
3. IMPORTANT: Plan enough time to complete the update. The total time to
perform this ROM update is estimated at 20 minutes with a USB connection.
4. IMPORTANT: Do not interact with the handheld or remove it from AC power
or the cradle/cable once the status bar appears on the handheld and the
actual update has started.
5. If an error message is displayed during the update process, follow any
available instructions to correct the condition and start the ROM Update
6. If the host PC is running the Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)
or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) Operating System and the ROM
update process is interrupted, the host PC may need to be restarted.
7. The update process can be performed while connected to a host PC either as
a Guest or with an established partnership.
Copyright (c) 2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.