Advisory: (Revision) Certain ProLiant Servers Running VMware - FIRMWARE UPDATE REQUIRED: Servers May Unexpectedly Reset, Experience a Machine Check, PCI Bus Error, or Purple Screen of Death (PSOD)
Updated content has been added to all sections of this advisory.
Original Document Release.
The Firmware update detailed below is considered a critical fix and is required to prevent the issues detailed below. HP strongly recommends immediate application of this critical fix. Neglecting to perform the required action could leave the server in an unstable condition, which could potentially result in sub-optimal server performance, server lock-ups or failures, or ungraceful server shutdowns. By disregarding this notification and not performing the recommended resolution, the customer accepts the risk of incurring future related errors.
On the ProLiant servers detailed in the Scope section below with any of the following affected adapters:
- HP NC551i network adapter integrated in the ProLiant BL685c G7 server and in the ProLiant BL465c G7 server
- HP NC550SFP 10Gb 2-port PCIe x8 Ethernet Adapter configured in a ProLiant DL585 G6/G7 or ProLiant DL785 G6 server
- HP NC551m Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb Converged Network Adapter configured in a ProLiant BL465c G7 server or a ProLiant BL685c G7 server
Any or all of the following errors may occur if the server is configured with VMware ESX/ESXi 4.x and VMware ESXi 5.x and either of the adapters outlined below:
- Machine Check Error
- PCI Bus Error
- The active network may appear to act as if it is disconnected without passing any traffic but still show a hardware link
- Purple Screen of Death (PSOD)
Example of screen message that will display after an error occurs when the HP NMI driver IS NOT installed:
Example of screen message that will display after an error occurs when the HP NMI driver IS installed:
If any of these errors occur, the server may reset unexpectedly, the adapter will lose connection and the system will become unresponsive, or a Purple Screen of Death (PSOD) will occur.
Any ProLiant BL685c G7 server blade with an onboard NC551i LOM or any ProLiant DL585 G6, ProLiant DL585 G7, or ProLiant DL785 G6 server configured with an optional NC550SFP Gigabit Server Adapter, or NC551m Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb Converged Network Adapter configured in a ProLiant BL465c G7 server or a ProLiant BL685c G7 server blade, and running VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1, and VMware ESXi 5.x, including all Update levels.
The firmware upgrades listed below are required on the following HP CloudSystem Matrix platforms that include the ProLiant servers and adapters identified in the Scope of this advisory:
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 184.108.40.206
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 220.127.116.11
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 18.104.22.168
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 22.214.171.124
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 126.96.36.199
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 188.8.131.52
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 184.108.40.206
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 220.127.116.11
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 18.104.22.168
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 22.214.171.124
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 126.96.36.199
- HP CloudSystem Matrix 188.8.131.52
: This issue has only been observed in a VMware environment.
Currently VMware is the only operating system that HP has confirmed to experience the reported issue. Investigation is currently underway to verify if this issue can be reproduced in Windows or Linux/Unix/Solaris-based operating systems.
Update the Emulex Adapter firmware to version 4.1.450.1707 or 4.2.401.2215 (or later) releases of the firmware. Ensure that the matching driver family version, 4.1.x.x or 4.2.x.x, is also used with the updated firmware version:
- Firmware image(.ufi) for ONLINE update of the CN1000e, NC551m adapters and BL465G7,BL685G7 server LOMs using OneCommand Manager version 4.1.450.1707 is located at the following URL:
Update the Emulex adapter firmware to version 4.2.401.2215 (or later) for the HP ProLiant BL465 G7 server and the HP ProLiant BL685 G7 server:
- Firmware image(.ufi) for ONLINE update of the CN1000e, NC551m adapters and BL465G7,BL685G7 server LOMs using OneCommand Manager version 4.2.401.2215 (or later) is located at the following URL:
RECEIVE PROACTIVE UPDATES
: Receive support alerts (such as Customer Advisories), as well as updates on drivers, software, firmware, and customer replaceable components, proactively via e-mail through HP Subscriber's Choice. Sign up for Subscriber's Choice at the following URL:
: For hints on navigating HP.com to locate the latest drivers, patches, and other support software downloads for ProLiant servers and Options, refer to the
Navigation Tips document
: For hints on locating similar documents on HP.com, refer to the
Search Tips document
Hardware Platforms Affected: HP CloudSystem Matrix 6.x, HP CloudSystem Matrix 7.x, HP NC550SFP 10Gb 2-port PCIe x8 Ethernet Adapter(Standard HP Product), HP NC551i Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb Network Adapter, HP NC551m Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb Converged Network Adapter, HP ProLiant BL465c G7 Server Blade, HP ProLiant BL685c G7 Server Blade, HP ProLiant DL385 G7 Server, HP ProLiant DL585 G6 Server, HP ProLiant DL585 G7 Server, HP ProLiant DL785 G6 Server
©Copyright 2013 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Hewlett-Packard Company shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein. The information provided is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. To the extent permitted by law, neither HP or its affiliates, subcontractors or suppliers will be liable for incidental,special or consequential damages including downtime cost; lost profits;damages relating to the procurement of substitute products or services; or damages for loss of data, or software restoration. The information in this document is subject to change without notice. Hewlett-Packard Company and the names of Hewlett-Packard products referenced herein are trademarks of Hewlett-Packard Company in the United States and other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective